Saturday 24 December 2022

Winter In The West Pennines (Day 2)

December 2022

On the second day the weather was again perfect for a winter walk and yesterday had inspired me to further explore some of the lesser known paths around Sunnyhurst and Darwen Hill.

Resisting the urge to climb up to the tower I made my way along Sunnyhurst Hey




















































Once again getting distracted and photographing the snow on the trees







Blue skies and sunshine the best tonic for winter blues
















At the top of the track up from Ryal Fold


I was retracing my steps from yesterday because it had given me the idea for a new/different route for the running club I belong to 'Clayton le Moors Harriers'. We run from a different location every week and it was soon to be my turn to lead a run from the Sunnyhurst Pub.





and so back up Dragon Hill


















































Back on track after reconnoitring for my run I stopped on the embankment of Sunnyhurst Hey for a hot drink and to enjoy the winter sunshine



































and 






while I sat there a Kestrel landed on a fence post.































I had just managed to grab a shot of the Kestrel when a Barn Owl flew right between us, I spun round and snapped a photo as he flew past, but when I turned back the Kestrel had also flown.








I was soon joined by a Robin




I thought perhaps he had come down to scrounge some crumbs from my biscuits






































but he just went busily about his own business 















































whilst keeping a beady eye on me






































As the last of the winter walkers made their way back, I too decided it was time to go home and close another chapter on a great winters day in the West Pennines.










No comments:

Post a Comment